Pan Card is compulsory for NRI. Non resident Indians can apply for PAN Card online. This page will guide NRI how to apply for PAN Card. NRI Pan Card is also issued by Income Tax Department (that comes under Govt. of India).
NRI (Non Resident Indians) require having Permanent Account Number (PAN) card in order to make income tax file returns if they generate income in India. PAN is a must for NRI who wants to own a profit ownership account with all the privileges and has been declared mandatory by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). PAN card is issued by Government of India Income Tax Department and is mandatory for filing returns. NRI needs to hold PAN card if they want to own land or property in India.
Process to apply for PAN card is as follows:
1) Access Income tax India portal and fill the PAN card application form based on the instruction provided with all mandatory fields duly filled with correct information.
2) NRI should make sure to give their detailed address of their place of residence in abroad and not the address of the place where they reside in India.
3) You can submit the form online itself and download the acknowledgement receipt.
4) A demand draft is required to be made in the favor of NSDL PAN in Mumbai of amount 944 INR.
5) All the necessary documents photocopies in addition to the acknowledgement receipt needs to be sent to NSDL PAN Office in Mumbai in attachment with demand draft.
6) You can always trace the status of the Pan card through website of http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in
The documents needed for applying for NRI PAN Card are as follows:
1) One needs to send a photocopy of identification proof which could be the passport.
2) Address proof document photocopy of the current residing place needs to be produced.
3) A photocopy of Non Resident External (NRE) bank account details duly attested by embassy of India needs to be submitted.
4) Bank account details of foreign branch need to be produced as a photocopy.
Take care you submit all the documents asked for, to avoid your application getting cancelled at later stage.